Sunday, August 29, 2010

Ch2_2 #1

Part A: Ch2 Sheet 14 gives you the position as a function of time for constant acceleration (2.6). How do you know from the shape of the velocity vs time plot shown that the acceleration is constant ? What is x0 in this problem ? What is v0 ?
How do you get the acceleration a from the graph including its sign (see Sheet 11) ? Once you have x0, v0 and a you get x at 2 s, 3s and (Part B) 4 s.
Part D: If the car changes direction what would the value of the velocity at that point in time be? Do you see such a point on the graph ?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hit a road block with this problem, I'm not seeing it. If someone could help.

What I think I know: I know the acceleration is -4m/s^2

I see it stops at 3s, and then turns around at 4s.

But I'm having trouble figuring the distance in meters at any given point.
Any tips would be much appreciated.

Anonymous said...

Re 9/3 12:42 am:
You know the initial position, the initial velocity and the acceleration. Which of the equations (2.5),(2.6),(2.7) will give you the distance ?

Anonymous said...

I got Part A to this problem, but when I try to figure out Parts B and C, I am not getting the correct answer.

I thought you would use the same equation as in Part A.