Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Ch4_1 #1

See Ch 3 Sheet 7,8 for the "Head-To-Tail" Rule for vector addition. See Ch 4 Sheet 5 the sketch for a vector sum of forces. You add the 2 forces together and then balance the resulting sum vector with a 3rd vector.
The vectors in Mastering Physics are treated as done in Ch 3_1 #4 (bottom):
In order to manipulate the vector F
1. Click on vector F
2. Click “add vector”
3. Select “unlabelled vector”
4. With the cross hair draw a vector on top of F
6. Manipulate the vector you drew

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

trying to create the correct diagram but the program is telling my self as well as the TA in the Physics help center its the wrong answer. not sure what to do or what im doing wrong

Anonymous said...

I'm having the same problem; I'm tracing over the original vectors with unlabeled vectors, and then adding the F3 vector to balance them. It's not accepting the answer.

Anonymous said...

Yes, so am I, I am doing this problem like previous physics problems, but I cannot get the system to accept the vector going the opposite way.

Anonymous said...

Re all: just did it. It workd like this:
Add vector, pick label F3, draw it in the final direction (is it horizontal ?) If you get "Try Again" sqeeze or stretch it a bit (you may have applied the Head-To-Tail Rule inaccurately).

Anonymous said...

I'm sure I'm doing right this problem (I did exactly what professor told to do) but it keeps saying "try again".............
1) add additional vector (unlabeled)by copying one of existing vectors (F1 or F2)
2) move the unlabeled vector to another vector head (head to tail)
3) then add vector F3
4) draw F3 from the dot to the head of unlabeled vector


am I doing it right?

Anonymous said...

you have to draw a total of four vectors. The first two are the ones given. Draw the thrid using the head to tail rule. You then have to draw the final vector F3, equal but in the opposite direction to your third vector.