Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Ch4_3 #2

See Ch 4 Sheet 19. Example 4.3 is very similar to the question here,
with the exception that here friction is included. ("Kinetic" friction refers to a moving object sliding on a surface, "static" friction refers to an object at rest on a surface. We do not distinguish between the two in this course and simply refer to friction.) Watch out how you use the labels m1 and m2 relative to the question here when you inspect equations in Example 4.3 ! The easiest way to proceed is to add the frictional force to the parallel weight component in the equation at the bottom of Sheet 23 with the correct sign (!) and solve for the mass asked for.
The expression obtained there is the application of Newton's Law II for the combined system (m1 + m2). I recommend strongly to study the procedure on Sheet 21 which yields the tension T in addition to the acceleration a (e.g. in case the tension T is asked for.)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I tried to make the equation on the bottom of sheet 23 work for m_2= but then I still will have other m2's on the other side of the equation, is there another way to do this problem?

Anonymous said...

Anyone know how to do this yet? Can you neglect internal tension in this problem?

Anonymous said...

I followed all the hints and I calculated M2 but I still got the wrong answer.

Anonymous said...

Can someone post a step by step process for doing this. I exhausted all of the hints and still could not get the right answer. I somehow guessed the answer but I want to know how to do this sort of problem, since this is by far the hardest physics problem I've run into